Friday, August 17, 2012

Jaw-Dropping High Diving

August 16 was a monumental day in the adventures of Waddles and Hopper!

TDH had the day off and we wanted to plan a fun afternoon for the family. The activity of choice was inspired by watching the Summer Olympics this year, which we thoroughly enjoyed. In fact, this is the first year the kids have been interested in watching - or was it up late enough to watch, or had they missed it in the past because we didn't have cable TV - oh, details.

Either way, this year we were staying in hotels because we had just arrived in Hawaii. We would come in from dinner, climb into our beds (arrangements varied from me in a king-size bed with Hopper and TDH and Waddles in a cot, to TDH in a cot while I slept in the king with both kids, to phenomenal accommodations at the fabulous Ihilani (luxury!) in which the kids each had a cot and TDH and I shared a king (that's the way it's supposed to be!) to the kids on a pull-out sofa bed and TDH and me in a king..... Am I getting bogged down in details again?? Sorry. The point is, we moved around a lot in 10 days. No, the point is, we watched the Summer Olympics!

Several events captured the kids' attention, but when the diving competitions began, Waddles and Hopper were entranced. Since then, TDH and the kids have been talking incessantly about high dives and what it would be like and how fun it would be...TDH, as is his way, set out to find a pool with a high dive for the kids to try. He did not pause to wonder whether it would be worth the drive, whether we would get there and the kids would take one look at a high dive and turn the other way...

I, however, was a doubter. I didn't believe they would do it. I thought they'd get to a pool with real diving boards, and - well, yeah - wuss out. 

We arrived at Richardson Pool on Schofield Barracks to find a 15 ft deep pool having 2 10 foot springboard diving boards and 2 even higher diving platforms. My kids have never seen high dives. They have almost never been in water deeper then 5 feet. Alaska and Oregon are not where you go to become fish! 

The kids couldn't wait to get their sunscreen on so they could sprint to the top of the ladder. Waddles went first - also shocking! He usually sends Hopper in first to check things out. Well, this time his impulsivity affected only him. He began climbing the ladder - and the lifeguard yelled at him, "One at a time!", because there was another kid already on the board. Waddles paused as instructed, but he was not discouraged. When the board was clear, he began climbing again. No hesitation. He stepped onto the diving board and walked forward... Then, I'm guessing his belly leaped into his throat as the ground fell away and the board flexed with his steps out over the water, because he began moving back toward the ladder and preparing to climb down. Not so fast... The lifeguard yelled at him again, "You can't go down!" Apparently, once you're up, there's only one way to come down. 

So now I'm thinking I was right. I am also thinking this is it. Here it comes. Fear. Tears. Humiliation as we try to coax him to jump. And no chance Hopper will try after this scene. 

I was totally wrong. Waddles pinched his nose, walked forward and, with more courage than I ever expected nor could have mustered myself at a time like that, took the plunge. He jumped right off. He LOVED it!! Total, beautiful success!!

And the funny thing is, Hopper came forward with the same courage. She exhibited the same hesitation halfway along the board, and started to back up.... But then she gathered her courage, walked forward - nose in hand - and made her own giant leap. It was awesome! All on her own, she did it and I was so proud! They both continued to jump over and over again - and they swam their little hearts out!

Isn't it the best when your kids amaze you in a brand new and truly jaw-dropping way? I tell you what, when I got to the top of the ladder and walked out onto that platform (at Hopper's request) I had to gather all my courage. My nerves were tingling and I, too, wanted to turn around and climb back down that ladder. The only thing that got me over the edge was knowing that my daughter, sweet wonderful Hopper, was cheering me on and telling me, "You can do it!" I knew she deserved to feel the same joy I felt by watching her. The smile on her face was totally worth it despite the stinging foot-slap and power wedgie I received when I hit the water!!

Wow! They are growing up in a BIG way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment