Saturday, August 25, 2012

What If Summer Doesn't End?

It's that time of year again. The leaves are turning red, yellow and orange; mornings feel crisp - there's a chill in the air; friends are Facebooking about school supply shopping and the smell of crayons, sharing pictures of their kids heading off on the first day of school; and Labor Day is around the corner, signaling the end of summer.

But not for us. It's different this year - and not just the part about the leaves. We live in the land of perpetual summer, so the sun felt as warm today as it will in December. We will snorkel then, too - or free-dive, in Hopper's case (she hates the snorkel, but holds her breath and dives down to the coral like a fish).

The biggest difference is that this year my kids aren't heading off to school.
But it can't be all fun and games (or sunshine and coconuts), right?

Right.

As I mentioned in previous posts, we are taking on homeschooling as part of our move to Hawaii. The decision to homeschool was a long-time coming, and not by any means made lightly. I am perpetually filled with self-doubt, so at the heart of any hesitation to homeschool was my sense that I wasn't good enough for the job. TDH pointed out the sacrifice in "me" time and the work I would have to put into planning and executing. These things didn't bother me. I was simply paralyzed by concern over whether or not I could offer my kids what they need to reach their full potential...

But for me, that concern applies to every aspect of parenting.

TDH was not at all troubled by this - he believes in me, in us, and remains confident that the 2:1 student:teacher ratio is bound to provide a sufficient learning environment for Waddles and Hopper. I should mention that Waddles, in particular, always required close monitoring to stay on task during homework and schoolwork (no doubt his K-2nd grade teachers would confirm). Elaboration on this is sure to come...

So here we are, jumping in with 8 feet.

I do not presume to know what is right for any other family. I do not suggest that my personal choices should apply to anyone else. Ours was a decision permitted by and as a direct result of my familys' unique circumstances. From here on out, I simply offer to share my own experiences, and those of my family, related to our homeschooling. 

So read on if you wish, commiserate if you please, and share your own stories if you so desire. Starting...tomorrow... Yes, I'll begin to write about what we are actually doing starting tomorrow. Because, strangely, determining how best to write this post (then writing it) has been a challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment